The Pompadours
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Andrew Deller

Go down

Andrew Deller Empty Andrew Deller

Post  Angus Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:21 am

Hi,

I came across this site by accident really whilst searching for NI photos. I was attached (from the RCT) to C Coy as Coy 2IC from Jul 86 to May 87 and I can safely say that it was one of the most satisfying periods of my Army career, serving with a superb battalion in a challenging training and operational environment. What really hit me though as I looked at your site was realising that Cpl (as I knew him) Andy Deller, had passed away. I spent a mere 10 months with the Pompadours but he was one of the guys that made a real impact on me and I wasn't surprised to see that he made it into the WOs' and Sgts' Mess. Personally I shall never forget taking a mobile patrol down the Falls with him - we were held up by a 'Falls Mothers for Better Zebra Crossings' (yeah right) demonstration and being a young officer I felt that discretion was advisable as I felt that 'hearts and minds' was the way forward. I said as much to Andy. He gave me one of those looks reserved for simpletons of the officer class, looked at the driver and said - "Run 'em over!"

Needless to say, our mobile proceeded on its way, I learned a lesson from an excellent NCO, and no more 'Falls Mothers' were seen for the rest of the tour!

RIP Andrew Deller

Angus

Back to top Go down

Andrew Deller Empty Re: Andrew Deller

Post  Corky Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:47 pm

I was Andys Pl Sgt in the early eighties, he was a great bloke and very capable soldier, as you rightly say, RIP Andy.

Corky

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum